Diversity enables success
At Stena Line, we are on a journey together towards our vision of Connecting Europe for a Sustainable Future. That commitment is based on care: care for our customers, care for our resources, and care for each other. Our success depends on how we collaborate, help each other and put the team and our business purpose above ourselves. Not only that, a workforce that reflects the diversity of customers will help us more fully understand everyone’s needs.
Leading the way
In our industry, we want to lead the way in equality and diversity. We have recently set out our ambition to become an attractive, safe and inclusive workplace for all by 2026 – an ambition which comes from the top. As our CEO Niclas Mårtensson puts it, “Everyone is a valued member of our family no matter who you love, what you believe in or the colour of your skin.”
Inclusive of all
Stena Line has appointed Salem Yohannes as our Diversity and Inclusion Lead. “I’m passionate about unlocking underestimated potential. We want to create a diverse and inclusive workplace, where you can be yourself, whoever you are, and there is nothing to prevent talented people from getting on,” she says.
A Diversity month of activities
During May, there are lots of activities designed to raise awareness of the issues around ethnicity and skin colour, get people talking and promote ways to be more inclusive. During the month, everyone within Stena Line should have the opportunity to explore diversity and inclusion through the Diversity month program:
- Employee stories on Stena Line intranet: colleagues from ethnic minorities share their real-life experiences at home and at work
- A card game: a reflection activity to play in your teams, to encourage discussion of issues relating to people’s identities
- A brochure: with tips about how to be a more inclusive colleague
- Posters and portraits: around our workplaces raising voices with different skin colours from different ethnicities
- A panel talk on ethnicity and skin colour: a F2F event in Gothenburg. The event will be recorded, and videos will be circulated soon afterwards for everyone to discuss in their teams